jeudi 6 juillet 2017

Low oil level light came on and went off while driving

Hey everyone, new member here, please excuse the noobiness. I have been battling a yellow oil light issue with my E46 ever since I've owned the car for the past 6 months. My low oil light has been coming on after I shut off the engine. I figured this was caused by either an oil leak or a bad CCV. I have replaced my oil filter housing gasket and intake VANOS oil line. The valve cover gasket looks good (no oil leaks down the top front or exhaust side of the engine), the oil pan gasket does look it is leaking a bit (I'll get to it when I can), and the CCV does not exhibit any signs of failure (normally this would be lean codes and a honking/wheezing noise from what I've read).

After I did my first oil change on the car, 7 qt of Mobil-1 10W-40, the oil light stayed off for about 1500 miles. Then it started coming on after I shut off the engine for the next 500 miles, until finally it came on while driving at about 2000 miles. Ever since then, I have been topping off the oil when the light comes on while driving (I add 1 qt), which keeps the oil light off for about 500-1000 miles.

Today something unusual happened; the light came on while I was driving up a moderate incline at 50 MPH and went away about 2 miles later, while I was driving on level ground at around the same speed. I checked my oil level after letting the engine cool for 10 minutes, and it's at the midway point on the middle slab on the dipstick.

Is it possible that my sensor is soft failing or that I could be suffering from a combination of issues that are causing this light to be thrown like this? I've never heard any accounts of oil level sensors failing like that on these cars, even after copious amounts of Googling and forum sleuthing. I had a soft failing issue with my MAF earlier. The car threw a CEL with P0171 and P0174 (lean on both banks), but did not throw a code for the bad MAF. The CEL and lean codes went away after I replaced the MAF.


Low oil level light came on and went off while driving

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire