lundi 30 juin 2014

DIY: Grease shift bushing / Make shifting to reverse easier

My shifter took a lot of force to shift to the left to get into reverse. I changed the transmission fluid and it did not help. Here is how to grease the shifter bushing, which fixed my problem:


  1. Pull hard upwards to remove shift knob

  2. Push in on both sides of the bottom of the leather shift boot and pull up to pop it out. It has 4 plastic clips, 2 on each side.

  3. Pull out grey foam piece

  4. Yank rubber boot out from hole that it is secured into. Takes some force.

  5. Lift edge of rubber boot (it does not come completely off the shifter) to find the shift bushing/ball joint. Mine was bone dry.

  6. Clean the ball joint of old dry grease & dirt. I used a small rag and rubbing alcohol.

  7. Grease the ball joint/shift bushing. I used white lithium grease (yellow color all purpose grease).

  8. Shift around/drive around to move the grease around. Mine got really dirty again, so I cleaned it again and re-greased.

  9. Reassemble in reverse order.






































Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire