jeudi 29 juin 2017

Aussie 323Ci - Long, Boring, Don't Read

This is my 2000 Fern Green 323Ci purchased last year to use as a dedicated track and BMW Club events car. It was originally ordered from Australia and delivered in Munich specifically without a sunroof, which means I don’t have 25kg in the wrong place! The last owner had it for ten years and it had a perfect service record. I was able to get the itemised invoices so can see that everything was done to keep it in perfect mechanical condition . With 160,000 kms on the clock it has hit the 100,000 mile anniversary and needed work to ensure it would do the next 100,000. It was mechanically in great condition except that the suspension was worn out.



It replaced this, a 2000 328i which was a garage queen and show car. It came first in class in the BMW Nationals in 2015. Nice car but it was never going to be a track car!



The first job was to bring the interior back to life. The leather took some effort to getting it back to spec. Using a company in the UK, I matched the leather colour then re-stained the leather seats, front and back to restore the colour and remove any creases and blemishes. The lesson from this was how heavy the seats were with their electric motors. But the end result is that the interior is now very clean and presentable and the leather has years left in them.



Next was the suspension. Having had a lot of experience with Koni Sports (adjustable) struts and shocks I went with a Koni/H&R Sport Spring package which I sourced from Germany. This combination was nearly half the cost of what I was being quoted here in Sydney, including shipping. Also ordered all new bump stops, pads and other bits from Pelican Parts in California. Over Christmas last year did the job over two days as I wasn’t in a rush and it is really a pretty easy job to do. Mind you, it did remind me that I am not 21 anymore! That did reveal that the front sway bar links were kaput so a new set went in. The rest of the front arms and bushes were quite new so no problems there.

Intending to track the car I was conscious of the rear sub frame and tower issues and took steps to ensure this would not be a problem. Pelican supplied a full set of UUC rear mounts and Lemforder bushes as well as an AKG Sports reinforcement kit and knowing how horrendous the job was, gave it to my local mechanic who said that out of a score of 10 in difficulty, it rated a 12! That’s why I gave it to you, was my reply. Thanks Steve from Guy Tassell Automotive. As an aside I got them to glue the reinforcement plates instead of welding. They did a great job and the car drives like new.

Although intending to put a full cold air intake (something like an Injen short air ram intake) in I temporarily replaced the stock air filter with a K&N unit. Fresh brake fluid and a change in diff oil and we were nearly ready to go. A full external detail followed and then it was the pre-track day check. May not be the fastest but always look good! :lmao: I always pull off each wheel to check brakes, wheels for cracks and tyres for any problems. Good thing I did as there was a screw in the left rear. A professional fix and I was ready for the track. Am running Michelin Pilot Sports on the car at the moment and didn’t have time to organise a set of R spec tyres.

Track day debut was with the BMW Club NSW at Eastern Creek outside Sydney on the South Circuit, a very twisty and hilly course which was huge fun as well as being technically difficult. My choice of a 323Ci was deliberate as I wanted to compete in a particular class to have fun. This isn’t about sheep stations. (Translation: no mega-buck prizes even if you do win). It also pitted me against both six and four cylinder models with approximately similar power to weight ratios. So although the 323Ci is a 2.5 liter six it is actually outclassed on paper by E36 318is and Ti models. On such a tight course, they definitely had an advantage. So the nut behind the wheel is just as important as the car.



Anyway, had a great time and didn’t do too badly. The road tyres overheated quickly and we started sliding around which not only cost time but led to a few “are we going to hold the turn” moments. I needn’t have worried as the suspension and tyres held up well. I had set the Konis to full soft on the rear and one turn on the front. Will change that to one turn on the rear and one and a half turn on the fronts. But a great day out and the car handled so well. I didn’t mention that it was an automatic and it responded quite well in manual mode. Tried it in sport mode but on this type of circuit it constantly was playing catch up. By the way the reason for an auto was that every E46 I had seen in manual (at least for my budget) was in very poor condition. Besides, I am of that age where I can’t be bothered with clutches and gearshifts!



Even with fresh brake fluid pedal feel wasn’t too good at some moments due to continual use of the brakes. Have no idea what pads are on the car but they gave good enough grip. Same for rotors. They are round and metal looking and I suspect they are ATE but no guarantees. So track day one was a good test day and after consideration I am going to do a few more things to the car.



As you can see in the photos there is a little more body roll than I would like. Adjusting the Konis will help but I think a set of stiffer (bigger) sway bars would work better. So I have ordered a set of Whiteline 30mm front 20mm rear combination sway bars. It will also help me to dial out the tendency to understeer the car has at the moment. The standard Sport seats are great and more than adequate for track days but I will get a harness to keep me locked into place. Other modifications will be a remap after the cold air intake is fitted and R spec tyres. Accordingly a cheap set of Style 44’s has been sourced and after a refresh will be shod with Hankook RS3’s. Lighter wheels were an option but at this stage I would rather put the money to other things and worry about that later.



After that it will be a set of slotted rotors with standard Textar pads. Yes I could get a more dedicated track pad but there is a set sitting on the shelf and from what I have read here they are a great combination. A set of steel brake lines also won’t go astray. While the cooling system is looking and performing well enough history is against it so a new water pump, thermostat, hoses etc. will all go in. The mechanical fan will come out and be replaced with an electric unit. Although they look OK, the engine mounts will be updated and the transmission will get a flush. About the only thing that hasn’t been replaced by this stage will be the guibo so at some stage that too will get fixed up.

Why an E46 rather than an E36 or something else? Well I think the E46 will be the iconic pre-turbocharged 3 Series. It is to my eyes, the best looking and has a combination of style and technology that gets it by even today. Having owned an E46 328i Sedan I think the sports oriented Coupe is a far superior car, seems more balanced and is just as good to look at. Whilst the temptation of turning it into a CSL replica is there I think I have enough to do to get the mechanicals the way I want them and then just go and have fun!



Aussie 323Ci - Long, Boring, Don't Read

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire