lundi 23 février 2015

battery, alternator, or ...

I'm a newbie here, I've done some research on the forums, but could use some help diagnosing the following:



- The other night, I stalled backing up a hill into a parking spot (I have a manual 2002 325i).

- Afterwards, the car would not start, and there were some weird electrical noises: CD player churning, heater fan turning on, etc.

- After waiting a few minutes, the car started, so I bee-lined it home (about 20 minutes over the SF Bay Bridge)

- On the way, the battery light came on/off on the dash for a bit, then the lights and turn signals started to dim. I was luckly to make it off of the bridge/highway.

- Finally the car died two blocks from home, I pushed it to my driveway's edge. There was no overheating involved, the temperature reading was normal.

- I was able to start the car yesterday AM and pull it into the driveway, I'm not clear on why there was enough charge after the car rested.



From the above, I'm not sure on whether it's the battery (don't know how old it is), alternator, or voltage regulator. Is there an easy way to discern this, or do I have to take it to my mechanic?



I'm unemployed, so I'd prefer to replace the battery myself, and possibly tackle the alternator (I've done one a long time ago), but I want to properly diagnose the problem first.



Thanks for any help, and my apologies if this is covered elsewhere on the site.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire