jeudi 21 juillet 2016

Hydraulic tensioner--Is this really how it works?

I replaced the mechanical AC belt tensioner, the idler pulley, and the whole hydraulic tensioner assembly today. I was incredibly stupid and somehow under the impression that the pulley and the hydraulic assembly are one piece; I really just needed the pulley. But the car's almost at 100k, so it's new, and not a big deal.

The bad pulleys became apparent when I replaced the water pump a few months ago. Something else that was apparent was the manner in which you de-tension the belt. The screw for the pulley was already somewhat stripped when I got to it, which scared me when I put the new belts on after replacing the water pump. In the end, I managed to get the belts back on without damaging anything.

When I got the new assembly, I looked it over to make sure that this is actually the way you do it. That you are actually meant to put a Torx bit on that screw and tighten it to release the belt tension. It seems like that's the case. Am I missing something, or is this just a bad design?

Everything is done already, and it was much easier this time with a new screw. But, overall, it just doesn't seem right.


Hydraulic tensioner--Is this really how it works?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire