mercredi 30 avril 2014

Catalytic Converter Issues

Hello E46Fanatics, I'm new to the Forums.



I recently purchased a 2003 BMW 330i that I knew had a few problems. The big one was, it wouldn't pass Smog. I took it to BMW and had them run a series of tests. These are the codes that it returned:



0000E9 - DME: Catalytic-converter efficiency, bank 1

0000E1 - DME: Trimming, oxygen sensor behind catalytic converter, bank 1

0000EB - DME: Trimming, oxygen sensor before catalytic converter, bank 1

0000EE - DME: Misfire, cylinder 1

0000F1 - DME: Misfire, cylinder 4

00001E - IHKA: AUC heating

0000F5 - KOMBI: No CAN identification (ASC)

000011 - KOMBI: Thermal oil-level sensor

000021 - LSZ2: Headl. v.a.c., front load sensor, open circ.

000022 - LSZ2: Headl. v.a.c., front load sensor, short-circuit to ground

000007 - GM: Signal STDWA (only relevant if an anti-theft alarm is fitted)

000042 - GM: Burglar-al. system; pass.-compart. sensor

000043 - GM: Burglar-al. syst: pass.-compart. sens. rear

000029 - GM: Relay for central locking, unlocking

00002A - GM: Relay for central locking, double locking

00003D - GM: Trunk-lid unlocking: mechanism

000020 - GM: General module V: internal fault processor

000088 - GM: DWA alarm memory: hood

005E19 - ABS-DSC: CAN data fault from DME/DDE (DSC lamp on as long as error is present)

005DA3 - ABS-DSC: Wheel speed sensor, front right

005D93 - ABS-DSC: Wheel speed sensor, front left



This is word for word from the their invoice:



125942 ISTA-D SHOWSE1 & EB = PRE AND POST AT O2 SENSORS BANK 1, AND DME CODE E9 = CATALYTIC CONVERTER, RAN TEST MODULES ON FAULTS, PER TEST THE PRE O2 SENSOR IS CURRENTLY WORKING OK BUT ENGINE IS RUNNING LEAN. SMOKE TESTED INTAKE TRACK AND FOUND ENGINE BREATHER VALVE LEAKING. PER TEST MODULE THE THE BANK 1 CAT CONVERTER EFFICIENCY IS POOR AND NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. RECOMMEND REPLACING THE ENGINE BREATHER VALVE AND ALL HOSES, ALL 4 OXYGEN SENSORS DUE TO MILEAGE AND BANK 1 AND 2 AT CONVERTERS (BANK 2 DUE TO MILEAGE). ALSO RECOMMEND REPROGRAMMING DME TO LATEST VERSION.



The O2 Sensors are brand new, it's the guy who installed them didn't do something with the computer. But they have less than 5,000 miles on them. I found a Engine Breather Kit on eBay for about $90 which I'm good on, (I'm studying Automotive Technologies and wanted a car I knew would break.) Due to the lovely California Emission Laws I actually have to spend quite a bit on new Cats, I'm only getting Bank 1 (Unless I get Bank 2 at a dirt cheap price) Since BMW said I needed new O2 Sensors as well, even though I don't, I'm just going to assume they wanted as much money as possible.



My main point is, I can't find a single DIY on removing/replacing BMW Cats for my model! Just DIYs on simple models where the cat is below the car, on my model it's on the left of the engine tucked away. (Right from the engines POV)



Other problems that I'm aware of, Transmission has hesitation going from Garage Gear to any other gear only when it's on a cold start, (Instructor said I should check the fluid, I did, it was topped off, but black.) (I checked it with the Engine running and unscrewed the Filler and it poured out a little.) He said it's possible that the Solenoids are getting sticky from the oldish fluid. (126K Miles and never had a Transmission Flush.)



The Passenger Side Xenon Light fails to ignite quite often, BMW could not duplicate this error so they didn't bother with it. Planning on changing out the entire housing and installing Angel Eyes.



I'd like to know how to replace the Cats, (I don't want to take it to a professional, I don't have much invested in the car and really want to learn it myself, I have access to a well equipped shop, minus whatever I need to tell the computer I replaced a part.)



I'd like to know what the DME is and how much it is to upgrade/reprogram it.



I'd like your opinions if I should flush the transmission and take the risk of totally ruining it or keep the old fluid in and wait for it to die.



I'd like to know, if replacing the Cats would be worth it, or in those codes there is something else that could ruin the cats faster, like the Breather Valve making the Engine run Lean.



Thanks in advance for any and all help I'm given.



Vehicle: 2003 330i Sedan 3L 6Cyl Engine



-DogsPaw




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire