lundi 27 octobre 2014

E46 Nightmare

So I bought the wife a 330i. Seemed to test drive fine and the seller swore to me there was nothing wrong (he said he was a BMW enthusiast). The problems started after we got it home. It had a misfire that would clear up when started in the morning. Then it seemed to happen when it was parked for a while. Oil is clean, coolant is clean, but it needed a couple ounces of coolant every day with no obvious leaks. Today, I pulled the plugs and found water in #4. The seller flat out lied about the condition of the car. It needs a head gasket, head, or possibly an engine. On top of that the lockout converter doesn't lock up. Converter replacement I could pay for, but a blown engine is more than I'm willing to swallow.



I could wrench this myself, though I don't really get into tearing apart engines. Honestly, I have no idea how long the car was driven like this and I'm willing to bet that #4 has has a bad bore or rod problems, so it would probably be a waste of time.



How much is a used M54 in the Midwest these days? Is it worth the time tearing it apart to find a cracked head?



1. Bought a 330i with a seriously hosed engine.



2. It has water in a cylinder. Do I bother taking it apart for say a head gasket or head repair?



3. Anyone have a M54B30 cheap? I can't spend another 3000 to fix this pile of ****. If I find an engine, is it a simple matter of connecting everything and it starts right up or am I looking at computer flashing, etc., to get it running?



4. There is a special place in hell for those who sell boat anchors like this to people. I could never do it to somebody, not even my worst enemy.



I've had 2 used E36's and put 140k on those with normal maintenance. The one my wife had was more rust than paint and this car I found her is now doing a fine job of holding the driveway down. Worse than that she can't comprehend why somebody would do this and money is tight.



Sorry for the long post I haven't slept well in over a week over this.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire