mercredi 28 janvier 2015

Check out how screwed my old engine was!

So a few months ago I picked up my 325i, she drove beautifully down the highway for the 200Km drive home. Had a bit of a rough idle which I figured was thanks to a cracked coil. After that, chased a few vacuum leaks changed plugs, pulled codes etc... before booking her into my friends shop and these results came back;







Ahh thit. Okay so I figured I'd try a few black magic & unicorn blood fixes... which did nothing not surprisingly. So I recently picked up a replacement motor & began the fun of swapping them out. I'm about halfway through the swap, just waiting on parts so I figured why not tear the old motor apart to see what went wrong? I figured maybe a few stuck/ burnt valves or maybe a bad piston ring or two.... but not this. When I pulled the head I was completely floored & left speechless.









:eeps::yikes::eeps::yikes::eeps:



Now it gets more interesting. The top pic is cylinder 1, and the bottom is 4 (refer to compression & leakdown test). The head though shows no signs of damage either, save for a few improperly seated valves on 2 & 6. I also found piston's 2 & 6 are warped (overheating?). On top of all that there's massive amounts of carbon build up (poor gas?). For a car with 150,000Km I did not expect to see all that but hey, it is what it is. Will probably be the last time I buy a car that was only driven 2 months of the year in summer, in the Northwest Territories though haha.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire