mardi 26 août 2014

question for investment gurus

So, BLUF is this: right now, I have three 401k accounts. Vanguard from when I worked for GEICO, TSP for military, TSP for government civilian. Should I roll these all into one/two accounts?



Details:

Worked for GEICO for 4.99 years, have a 401k with them than no longer gains any contributions, but is making an ok amount of money. 5 year gains in the account are around 15%, fund fee is .08%. I'm 80% vested in this, so it will cost me a few thousand dollars to pull my money from here.



Have invested in military TSP for years, no matching contributions on this, but I put 10% of my monthly national guard check into here. Asset distribution is the same as my civilian TSP.



Now investing monthly 5% plus matching funds into TSP (maxed on matching) for a total of 10% per month. Fund fee on TSP has been hovering around .029% for several years now, so it's cheaper than Vanguard, and the performance over the past few years has been similar if not a few points higher.



I'm planning on 401k money, plus at least a military pension for retirement income, possibly a civilian pension if I stay with the government that long.



I think it's worth it for me to pull the money out of Vanguard, since the fund fee is higher and I'm no longer making contributions there, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm 31 right now, so I figure I'd have plenty of time to make up the money I would lose that I'm not vested in.



I'm pretty sure it's worth it to keep the military account, as the funds are identical to the civilian account, it's just another source of money going in there.



TSP allocation is currently about 50% common stock, 25% small cap, 25% international fund, same across both accounts.



So, questions:

-Should I keep the Vanguard account open, or roll it over to my civilian TSP?

-Should I keep two separate TSP accounts open, or just up my contribution from my civilian paycheck to account for not investing the money from the military paycheck?

-Is it worth it to close the Vanguard account just for the convenience of having all my money under the same umbrella?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire