jeudi 26 mars 2015

2 E46's, Same Clutch Judder

Hi everyone, hoping you guys can help me out with this one, as it's driving me nuts.



First a bit of background (skip if you're impatient :D):

I've had two E46's throughout my BMW experience, both of them 2003 BMW 325i manual transmission sedans. The first one had 122k on it when someone T-boned me and it was totaled. My current 325i has 75k miles on it, and it is in great condition with a clean title. When I bought this car, I was sure that the problems I had with my first E46 were due to its higher mileage and the fact that it was rebuilt from a front end collision. However, after a bit of driving the car I noticed the same issues as I've had with my first E46 coming back to haunt me. Now I know my way around a manual transmission as I've owned a couple manual cars including other BMW's before, so please don't tell me this is driver error ;) . In fact, I first thought that I simply needed to get used to my cars, however after months of driving, researching, and trying new ways to engage the clutch I simply gave up and now am turning to you guys for help.



The issue: Clutch Judder

This is a randomly occurring problem, it can happen when the car is cold or when the car is warm. Yesterday I went to the store, and the whole way there the car would shake violently every time I would begin moving from a stop. However, maybe 45 minutes later, when I was done at the store the trip home was without issue - there was not a single judder on the way home.



I'm sure someone might know how this judder feels like, but for those that don't it feels like the clutch is slipping however the slips are very quick and brief (about 3 times a second). And so the whole car vibrates and you could hear this low vibrating noise as well as a rattle outside of the car. Sometimes I can smell something burning when the judder happens, from what I assume can be the clutch. Keep in mind that I've tried to get around this issue by changing the way I engage the clutch, I've tried to kick up the RPM's to 1.3k and see if a quicker clutch engagement cures the shudder. However, it only reduces the amount of time the shudder happens (the car shakes maybe 2-3 times only in this case). The judder happens regardless of whether I try to start moving the car slowly or quickly.



Now other then starting out, my clutch seems to operate fine. On the freeway the car drives beautifully, and I've tried to check for clutch slippage by flooring it in 4th and 5th gear at 80 mph and no slipping happens.



As I've mentioned before, I've had the same issue with my first E46 so I'm wondering if this is a common thing. It does happen less frequently on this car then my first car, however it does happen nonetheless and when it does happen, it's quite bad. Let me know if I need to provide more information for you guys. It seems a little too early to have a clutch go at 75k miles, doesn't it?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire