lundi 29 décembre 2014

ECC panel swap: fill in the blanks please?

So there are a bunch of topics out there discussing analog to digital hvac retrofits.

Most of them are several years old and have lots of dead links and pictures in them, and/or only specify the owner took the car to a shop or a dealer to pay the cars current value to retrofit ecc (someone had a shop do it, and they took 12 HOURS of their precious time).

I found out that facelift e46's are pre-wired, just swap the panel and you're done...bastards.

I hope you understand I used the search, and am now blinded with incomplete, incorrect and otherwise contradicting posts.



So, here is what I found:

If you own a pre-f/l, like me, you have to get 'a retrofit kit from the dealer', that

1. is imo quite expensive for what you get,

2. isn't available anymore (according to realoem).

Nobody (incl realoem) specifies what's included, which would able me to go scouring junk yards and ebay for parts to put together my own complete kit.

My best guess is you'd need an extra or replacement interior loom, an ecc heater box, ecc panel, one (or more) extra or different sensor(s), maybe one (or more) extra or different relay(s) and/or fuses.



Also, I was wondering about any possible changes in the late pre-facelift cars, mine was build 29th of December 2000, as they have the m54 in stead of the m52, I was wondering what else is different... also, I have the idea that Europe got some things a few months before the US (and mine was built in Germany for the EU market).

Usually, in my experience, car manufacturers opt to blend in -some- fresh technology from the new or facelift model, so it might not be such a far sought idea to think late pre-f/l e46's might have more new tech than just the engine (I really don't know what might be different besides the engine).



AND... I was also wondering about experiences from people who changed -just- the control panel on their pre-facelift.

I know some of the functionality is lost, like only being able to have the air directed in one direction at a time (unless opting 'auto', then it blows from all openings?), losing 1 out of 3 openings (usually to the feet?), but no one mentions problems with temperature control (does it work as it should from 'low' all the way up to to 'hi' settings?) or a/c functionality (does it still come on when you select it, or shut off when deselected?).

If this would be just a few little things I can live with, I just might save myself some work (and money) and just plug in an ecc panel.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire