mardi 30 septembre 2014

Electrical/Starter Brain Teaser - Help Appreciated

Ok geniuses, here's a head-scratcher for you.

I recently began having a sporadic issue with my '05 330i. My wife and I went out to dinner, came back to the car, shut the door, stuck the key in the ignition, twisted the key to turn on the engine, and everything electrical turned off simultaneously: interior lights, dashboard, etc. No click of the starter, no air conditioning, no radio, absolutely nothing. Weird. (I replaced the alternator and battery within the last 6 months, and had checked voltage/amperage levels on both the day before, so I knew that wasn't the problem.) Tried to start the engine multiple times, took the key out, put back in... nothing. No lights, no hum of the electrical system in the "ON" position, nothing. So, I open the drivers door and for whatever reason, decide just to shut the door and try again. Poof, it works. I did nothing else. I opened the door, closed the door, turned the car on and everything came back up and the engine started perfectly. Oddly, all of my electrical data had reset: clock, MPG, saved radio stations, etc. like I had completely unplugged the battery. Yet all I did was simply open and close the door. Car runs great on the drive home, we laugh it off as a gremlin and continue on with life.



Fast forward. I go a week and have no problems. Then out of nowhere, I have the same issue. I open the door, shut it again (literally doing nothing else) and the electrical system comes back on and the engine turns over. This has gone on for the last month or so, happening probably 4 or 5 times total. Today, same thing happens as I leave work, but I have to open and shut the door 3 times before whatever the problem is will make a solid connection to re-engage the electrical system and turn everything back on.



I thought ignition switch to begin with, but I can wiggle the key in the ignition til my arm is numb and that doesn't do anything. The strangest part is that it resets all of the electrical data and turns off every component.



Any ideas whatsoever? This is crazy and I have no electrical expertise in this particular area. It's like there is a loose electrical connection that is jarred awake when I shut the door. The weird part is that everything is fine when I get into the car to begin with: the interior lights are on, the doors will automatically unlock, etc, so the electrical system is on. It doesn't turn OFF until I insert the key and twist. Then I hear an audible "click" as everything turns off. I open the door (and don't shut it) and try to turn the car on and get nothing. I shut the door firmly, hear the electrical system kick back on (I can hear a hum of some sort, not sure what component it is; somewhere behind the driver side dash) and then I can stick the key in and start the car.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire