samedi 24 juin 2017

VANOS new seals, P0015 code, SOLVED

I have had my 2002 330i with 155,000 miles for about 1 1/2 years now, and I have relied on this board to help troubleshoot the countless(!) issues that this poor car has had. This is a hobby car, as I don't drive it every day, so I enjoy troubleshooting (yes, I'm an engineer-type). I thought that I would report back on an apparent solution that worked for me.

During my second attempt to stop the pesky leaking of my valve cover, I decided to replace the VANOS seals while the cover was off. I did so, but after buttoning everything up and taking a short drive, the P0015 code ("B Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded" which is the exhaust position, on my OBDFusion app) was displayed. After days of research and reading LOTS of posts (a lot of you have VANOS-related issues!) I resolved to be sure that the VANOS solenoids, both intake and exhaust, are clean and the plungers are verified to slide smoothly as they should. Upon removing both solenoids, they both seemed to function smoothly, nothing was "seized up", as some posters had discovered in their cars. Therefore, I swapped the position of the solenoids, as they are both identical. If the same code were to be displayed, then the solenoids could be eliminated from the problem. If a different code were to be displayed, like P0014 which is the intake solenoid position, then the intake solenoid would be at fault and I would replace it. As it turns out, the codes disappeared, and there are no pending codes. This means that the solenoids are doing their job in their current positions. Some have indicated that lack of lubrication in the solenoids could throw these codes, so I will plan on changing the oil soon as it is due.

Thought that I would share. Thanks to all on the board that contribute to the e46 community, as I know that I wouldn't enjoy owning my e46 nearly as much without you.


VANOS new seals, P0015 code, SOLVED

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire