dimanche 18 juin 2017

Cooling issues. Can't figure out what the hell is going on

2002 E46 Touring with 152k on it. Shortly after buying the car the water pump pulley went out so I replaced the water pump and pulley. Other than that I've done expansion tank, upper and lower hoses. Within the past year I started off with a slow coolant leak. Around once every two months I'd get the light telling me low coolant. Eventually it started to become more frequent and now I'm getting it every two days or so. I've been putting water in since at that rate coolant is getting pricey. Yesterday I went out for a drive and got the light. Put some water in and continued on. On my way back I get the light again. Put more water in but about a mile later light comes on again. Couldn't pull over. But then it turns off. It kept doing this. So when I reached home I pop the hood and found one issue. A high pressure steady stream of steam was shooting out from either the bottom side of the upper hose at the expansion tank or behind it, maybe from the radiator. Topped it off with more water and turned in for the night. Today I check the water and it looks fine. Get on the highway to drive about 8 miles away. Coming up to my exit, my temp guage was almost in the red but no light for low coolant. I pull over and pop the hood and steam is shooting out from the same location. I loosened the bleed screw and it was shooting out pressure for a long time. Waited till it stopped, opened expansion tank cap and put water in. But now it fills up then slowly starts going down. Kept filling and it kept going down. Now from the beginning of my cooling issue, I never have seen any water/coolant on the ground. So I kept filling until it held the water to the full position in the expansion tank. Figuring it might be a lot of air in the system, I started the car and loosened the bleed screw half way and nothing was coming out. Cut off the car, removed tank cap and started the car. Level was all the way low and the float/rod was bouncing and knocking around, making me think that the water pump is working. Filled it up again, it held it, started the car and opened the bleed screw and it started bleeding the water out like a fountain. Closed it, put some more water in, start the car and opened bleed screw again and nothing is coming out. I then revved the car to about 2500 rpm and that's when water started coming out the bleed screw. I just tightened it back up and drove it home. Temp stayed where it's supposed to be but I popped the hood and I can hear it under pressure near the expansion tank. Looked under the car and it had spewed out a bunch of water. Put more water in and opened the bleed screw and again nothing coming out. I checked all the known places that's common for an E46 to leak and all looks dry. I checked the lower hose, temp sensor, thermostat, upper hose, expansion tank, and what I can see of the radiator. Oil looks fresh, no milkiness. There's no white smoke coming out the tail pipe. And again as I put water in, it slowly goes down. Say about 20 seconds from full to disappearing in the tank. And besides the water spewing on the ground when I got home, there's never been any other sign of leaks. This is driving me crazy. Could it be the head gasket? Or hopefully the radiator.


Cooling issues. Can't figure out what the hell is going on

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire